MemberMay 19, 2021 at 8:11 pm::
There are three states of matter- solid, liquid and gas.
Sublimation is the transition state where a solid directly gets converted into its gaseous phase without passing through the liquid phase.
- it is an endothermic process
- the solid substance that undergoes sublimation is known as sublimate
- sublimation can also occur at room temperature, basically it occurs at a temperature below the substance’s triple point
We can easily observe sublimation in our day to day life:
- the pack of air purifier in the washroom is in solid state that releases fragrances through sublimation, i.e., it gets converted into gaseous state without passing through a liquid state.
- the naphthalene balls, which is commonly used as a precautionary method against rodents, also sublimes in air. it is an organic compound. The ball gets smaller in size with each passing day. This is because – it shows sublimation, i.e., the balls are directly getting converted into gaseous state.
Other examples of sublimation are- burning of camphor, dry carbon dioxide etc.
I hope this helps.