Activity › Discussion › Grammar & Vocabulary › 20 words with meaning and sentence › Reply To: 20 words with meaning and sentence
AashutoshMemberJune 1, 2021 at 12:16 am::
1. Zenith: The highest point of something.
The zenith of the Himalayas is Mount Everest.
2. Yearn: Desire strongly or persistently.
Orphan often yearn for the love and affection they never had in their life.
3. Xenophobia: A fear of strangers.
People should spread awareness of Xenophobia.
4. Empathy: Understanding another’s feelings
The characters shown in this novel aren’t subjected to empathy at all.
5. Disguise: Altering one’s appearance to conceal one’s identity.
Portia disguised as a lawyer to save his husband’s best friend.
6. Cynical: Believing in the worst of human nature.
Having that Cynical outlook, nobody trusts him.
7. Bypass: Avoid Something.
The bypass surgery of the heart is a must to save the patient.
8. Forlorn: Pitifully sad.
Raman aimlessly took his step towards a forlorn path.
9. Irony: Incongruity between what might be expected and what occurs.
Some people don’t understand the irony in their actions and yet argue about it.
10. Bonafide: Genuine.
Rahul is a bonafide candidate for the curator post that is available in Bharat Kala Bhavan.
11. Lethargic: Deficient in alertness.
Hema felt too miserable and lethargic to get dressed as a prince.
12. Nostalgic: An account that tells the particulars of an act or event.
I feel nostalgic whenever I visit my home town.
13. Melancholy: Condition of being gloomy and depressed.
Those melancholy days were bitter yet remarkable to remember.
14. Lucid: Transparently clear; easily understandable.
It was a lucid dream; half awake, half asleep, beyond explanation.
15. Gallivant: Wander aimlessly in search of pleasure.
They’ve been gallivanting all over town.
16. Dubious: Fraught with uncertainty and doubt.
I remain dubious about her motives.
17. Rhetorical: Relating to using language effectively.
Raman’s work was overloaded with rhetorical enhancement, which he was the first to introduce into Indian history.
18. Serene: Not agitated.
His features were more refined and had a calm, soft, and serene expression.
19. Tenacious: Stubbornly unyielding.
The baby took my finger in its tenacious little fist and bit my finger.
20. Quell: Suppress or crush completely.
His words were oil in the fire and did nothing to quell the anger boiling within her.