MemberJune 4, 2021 at 2:31 pm::
The body needs nutrition for its growth and developemnt. The important nutrients required by humans are carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals.
Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients required for the growth and development. Vitamins are organic compounds whereas minerals are inorganic elements.
Let’s discuss each one pf these briefly –
1. VITAMINS –
· Vitamins are organic compounds
· The body cannot produce vitamins (except vit D and B3), these are obtained from foods
· Vitamins act as catalysts in carbohydrate and fat metabolisms.
· Vitamins can be taken through foods such as – meat, vegetables (specially the green leafy vegetables), fruits, nuts etc.
· Their deficiency can lead to numerous diseases
· Vitamins are of two types –
a) Fat soluble vitamins – these dissolve in fats. They are – vit A, D, E, K
b) Water soluble vitamins – these are soluble in water.
Here’s a list of vitamins –
1. Vitamin A –
· found in green leafy veggies, guava, milk, liver, nuts, tomatoes, oranges etc.
· deficiency – night blindness
2. vitamin B1 / Thiamine –
· found in fresh fruits, potatoes, pea, corn, wheat, milk
· deficiency disease – beriberi
3. vitamin B2 / Riboflavin –
· found in – dates, mushrooms, grapes, mangoes, corn etc
· deficiency disease – sore eyes, slow growth
4. vitamin B3 (Niacin) –
· meat, fish, eggs, milk, cereals etc.
· deficiency disease – pellagra
5. vit C –
· fresh fruits, broccoli, goat milk and chestnuts
· deficiency disease – scurvy
6. vit D –
· fish, egg, liver, chicken breast etc.
· deficiency disease – rickets
7. vit E –
· potatoes, pumpkin, guava, mango, milk, nuts seed etc.
· deficiency diseases – heart problems, sterility
8. vit K –
· tomatoes, broccoli, nuts, lamb, beef, mangoes, grapes etc.
this was a list some vitamins.
2. MINERALS – minerals are imp elements required by the body. These are Na, Ca, K, I, P
· Calcium – it is imp for bones and teeth
· Sodium – it helps in the regulation of blood pressure. Required for maintaining the anionic cationic balance
· Iodine – promotes hair and nail growth, controls body weight and BMR
· Phosphorous – most imp element of the cellular membrane. It also plays in the formation of bones and teeth
This was the summary of vitamins and minerals. I hope this helps.