MemberJune 3, 2023 at 10:44 pm::
Smoking can cause lung disease by damaging your airways and the small air sacs (alveoli) found in your lungs.
- Lung diseases caused by smoking include emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- Cigarette smoking causes most cases of lung cancer.
- If you have asthma, tobacco smoke can trigger an attack or make an attack worse.
Effects of smoking on other body parts:
- reduced lung function and breathlessness due to swelling and narrowing of the lung airways and excess mucus in the lung passages.
- raised blood pressure and heart rate.
- greater susceptibility to infections such as pneumonia and influenza.
- irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines.
- reduced ability to smell and taste.