DEHYDRATION: When there is a deficiency of water in your body dehydration occurs. Due to lack of water and other important fluids, our body can’t function normally. You can become dehydrated if you do not restore missing fluids.
CAUSES OF DEHYDRATION:
The most common cause of dehydration is a lack of water intake, excessive water loss, or a combination of the two.
Sometimes we do not drink water since we are too busy, lack the facilities or power to drink, or live in an environment without potable water.
1. Diarrhea– The large intestine retains water from food particles, but diarrhea avoids this. Dehydration occurs when the body excretes too much water.
2. Vomiting– causes fluid depletion and makes drinking water impossible to replace.
3. Sweating– In summers we sweat a lot due to hot weather. We lose water from our bodies in the form of sweat. When we are doing exercise or having a fever at that time also everyone sweats a lot.
4. Urinating frequently- People who have diabetes urinate a lot. Also, people who are on medication urinate frequently due to some medicines.
5. Burns– Damage to veins and arteries can cause fluid to leak into the surrounding tissues.
6. Diabetes– Excessive urination and fluid loss are caused by elevated blood sugar levels.
STEPS TO PREVENT DEHYDRATION:
a. As advised by your doctor, drink plenty of water.
b. Consume foods that are high in water, such as fruits and vegetables.
c. Caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee, teas, and soft drinks should be avoided or restricted.
d. Drinks containing alcohol should be avoided or restricted.
e. Drink more water when you are sick.
f. When extra electrolytes are needed, take them in.
g. Try not to step out during the afternoon
BEST FOOD FOR SUMMERS:
3. Ice tea/ Cold coffee
7. Drink Smoothies
8. Bottle Gourd
10. Sweet Potatoes