Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Activity Discussion Math Fraction


  • Bunny

    June 27, 2024 at 4:34 pm
    Not Helpful

    To convert an improper fraction to a mixed number, follow these steps:

    1. Divide the numerator by the denominator to get the quotient (whole number part) and the remainder.

    2. The whole number part becomes the integer part of the mixed number.

    3. The remainder becomes the new numerator, and the original denominator becomes the new denominator for the fractional part of the mixed number.

    Here’s an example:

    Convert the improper fraction 17/5 to a mixed number.

    1. Divide 17 by 5:
      17 ÷ 5 = 3 with a remainder of 2

    2. The whole number part is 3, so the mixed number will have an integer part of 3.

    3. The remainder is 2, so the new numerator is 2. The original denominator was 5, so the new denominator is also 5.

    Therefore, the improper fraction 17/5 can be expressed as the mixed number 3 2/5

For Worksheets & PrintablesJoin Now