Optical fiber is the upcoming era of technology that is concerned with data transmission using light pulses traveling along with a long fiber. The long fiber is made of plastic or glass. Metal wires are usually used for transmission in communication using optical fiber as signals travel without much damages.
These are few properties of optical fibers:
1. Optical fibers are unaffected by electromagnetic interference.
2. The fiber optical cable uses the application of the total internal reflection of light.
3. The fibers are designed in such a way that made the propagation of light along with the optical fiber depending on the requirement of power and distance of transmission easy.
4. Single-mode fiber is used for long-distance transmission, while multimode fiber is used for shorter distances.
5. Better protection is needed for the outer cladding of these fibers than the metal wires.
Its uses are as follows:
1. Optical Fiber transmit large amounts of data at very high speeds
2. Fiber optic cables offer the ideal solution for data transmission in a high level of data security required in military and aerospace applications.
3. Networking between computers is made easier and faster with the use of Optical fiber cables in a single building or across the buildings.
4. Cables made from optical fibers are widely used in the inspection of the places where it is hard to reach.
5. Calling telephones within or outside the country has never been so easy without optical fiber cables.