MemberMay 16, 2021 at 1:51 am::
There are in all nine parts of speech. Adjectives are one of them. Adjectives are the words that describe the qualities or states of being of nouns. They are used to modify nouns. They can also describe the quantity of nouns: many, millions, few, etc. Just like nouns, they can also describe pronouns. An adjective is often used before a noun. Some examples of adjectives are cheerful, fearless, young, expensive, etc.
Some examples of adjectives when used in sentences before nouns are-
1. The young lady is driving the car.
2. Vineet is staying in a luxurious room.
3. Shreya is the tallest girl in the class.
Here, in the first sentence, the word young is describing the quality of the lady who is driving the car. In the second sentence, the adjective luxurious is describing the state of the room. And in the third sentence, the feature that Shreya has is that she is tall. So, the word tallest describes the height of Shreya.
Also, adjectives are sometimes used after verbs as well.
1. The sky is pink.
2. When asked a question, the boy became clueless.
3. After a point, Chetan Bhagat’s novels seem interesting.
In all of the above examples, the words that immediately precede adjectives are verbs. Though the adjectives are describing the nouns here but the noun and adjective don’t need to be used together.
Similarly, let us take some examples where adjectives complement pronouns.
1. Ravi screamed in front of the whole class. He is <strong style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>arrogant by nature.
2. Arya wants to buy earrings. They are very expensive.
3. Sonam failed in her Maths exam. She is very weak in Maths.
Here in the above examples, adjectives are describing pronouns. The first example is about Ravi where it is talking about his nature. The word arrogant describes his characteristic. In the second sentence, the word expensive is the adjective used for earrings. Similarly, in the third sentence, the adjective is used for Sonam.
We can also use two or more adjectives together. For example, he was talking to a beautiful young lady. Here beautiful and young both are adjectives used for the lady.