Activity › Discussion › Grammar & Vocabulary › Grammar & Vocabulary › Reply To: Grammar & Vocabulary
ManpreetMemberMay 19, 2021 at 2:29 pm::
Acronyms are short forms of a name or phrase or as the case may be formed using the initials of the name or the words. For example- WHO (it stands for World Health Organization). It should not be confused with an abbreviation as an abbreviation is the shortened form of a word having part of the word and not just the initials, for example- Dr. is the abbreviation of Doctor, Prof. is the abbreviation of Professor.
Acronyms can be of various types-
1. formed using the initials as- WHO, NATO
2. it can be pronounced by pronouncing the initials, for example- WHO or the initials can be pronounced in the form of an entire word, for example-UNICEF, UNESCO, Radar etc.
Some acronyms we commonly encounter and their full forms:
*Pronounced as a single word:-
1. ASAP- as soon as possible
2. NASA- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
3. Radar- radio detection and ranging
4. aka- also known as
5. AIDS- Acquired Immuno Deficiency syndrome
6. gif- Graphics Interchange Format
* Pronounced through initials:-
1. DM- direct message
2. ATM- automated teller machine
3. FAQs- Frequently Asked Questions
4. idk- i don’t know
5. brb- be right back
6. a/c- air conditioning
7. ufo- unidentified foreign object
I hope this helps.