Ecology is the branch of science that takes into consideration the relationships between living organisms, including humans, and their physical environment. It is basically the study of organisms, the environment, and how the organisms interact with each other and their environment. The person who studies ecology is called an ecologist.
In all, ecology is classified into six types- Global Ecology, Landscape Ecology, Ecosystem Ecology, Community Ecology, Population Ecology, and Organismal Ecology.
1. Global Ecology deals with the interactions among earth’s ecosystems, land, atmosphere, and oceans.
2. Landscape Ecology deals with the interchange of energy, materials, organisms, and other products of ecosystems. This type of ecology also throws light on the role of human consequences on landscape structures and functions.
3. Ecosystem Ecology deals with the entire ecosystem, including the study of living and non-living components i.e Biotic and Abiotic components, and their relationship with the environment. They have to research how the ecosystems work and how they interact.
4. Community Ecology deals with the fact that how community structure is modified by interactions among living organisms. It comprises of two or more populations of different species staying at a particular place.
5. Population Ecology examines the population distribution and density. It then deals with the factors that can change the size of the population of organisms.
6. Organismal Ecology deals with an individual organism’s behavior, physiology, etc. in response to environmental challenges.
7. Molecular Ecology concentrates on the production of proteins and how these proteins affect organisms and the environment.
Ecology helps us in a lot of ways.
1. Environment Conservation- Helps us to understand how our actions impact the environment.<div>
2. Resource Allocation- Understanding which resources are essential for the survival of different organisms.
3. Energy Conservation- Proper knowledge of requirements helps in the prevention of wastage of energy resources.
4. Eco-friendly- Supports harmony in the environment among different organisms.
Human Ecology concentrates on the correlation between humans and the environment. It highlights the impact human beings have on the environment and spreads awareness on how we can improve ourselves for the prosperity of humans and the environment.